GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for scheduling patient appointments in an efficient and timely manner, gathering patient demographics, updating patients to inform them of their appointments and using technology to coordinate patient’s care.
Job Title: Appointment Scheduling Secretary
Reports To: Operations Manager
Department: Appointment Scheduling
FULL TIME NON – EXEMPT
JOB Description PDF
- Answers telephone using standard OIP greeting
- Determine callers needs and address or route call appropriately
- Schedules patient appointments in a prompt, pleasant and helpful manner following physician protocols
- Answering patient and outside facilities questions (via telephone, portal, etc.)
- Processing electronic fax documents
- Addressing appointment cancellations/reschedules/confirmations (via telephone, email, portal, direct message,
electronic fax, patient communication system)
- Preparing patient portal letters to be mailed
- Opens/closes switchboard following standard procedure
- Provide on call information to requesting individuals
- Logging on to hospital systems to update patient information as needed
- Miscellaneous clerical projects or generating reports as requested by Department Lead/Manager
EDUCATION: High school diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: One year work experience, preferably in a medical office setting. Knowledge of medical terminology desirable. Word processing and computer experience.
- Knowledge of business office procedures.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation to type patient information.
- Skill in operating computers, copiers, printers, fax machines, telephones, etc.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Must possess tact and diplomacy
- Must possess sufficient manual dexterity to perform the essential responsibilities
- Demonstrates flexibility by adapting to new and changing situations and duties in order to meet customer needs
- Demonstrates initiative to provide quality of services and improve efficiency
- Maintains positive working relations with co-workers
- Time management skills
- Ability to speak clearly and concisely.
- Ability to read, understand, and follow oral, and written instruction in the English language.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees, and the public.
ENVIRONMENTAL/WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in an office environment. Involves frequent telephone contact with the public. Work may be stressful at times. Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset people.
PHYSICIAL/MENTAL DEMANDS: Work may require hand dexterity for telephone and office machine operation, stooping and bending to files and supplies, sitting for extended periods of time. Manual dexterity for using a computer keyboard. Work is performed in an office environment. Involves frequent telephone contact with patients. Work may be stressful at times. Interaction with others is constant and interruptive.
Last Updated on