GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for answering front desk and staff questions from any location related to insurance and billing. Billing Desk Clerk will sit at the front desk, which will make them available to also answer questions to the large volume of patients seen at the location.
Job Title: Billing Desk Clerk
Reports To: Billing Office Manager
FULL TIME NON – EXEMPT
JOB Description PDF
- Assist any internal callers and front desk staff with any insurance related questions they may have.
- Be available to speak with patients related to any insurance related questions.
- Collect and post payments from patients coming in to pay their bill.
- Review accounts for insurance credits to see if a refund is appropriate and complete refund paperwork.
- Monitor and work “Add A Provider To Dos” daily.
- Run Medicare eligibility every Friday for the following Monday.
- Review Interactive Insurance Report for insurances that are always secondary to check for full balances which can indicate the account isn’t set up correctly and make appropriate corrections.
- Work firsthand on actively reviewing patient accounts ensuring claims are accurate and billable.
- Identify and resolve claim edits through understanding of billing guidelines and payer requirements.
- Proactively fix claim rejection errors and resubmit claims based on payer requirements.
- Comply with all government and third party payers regulatory mandated requirements for billing and collections.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all information under HIPPA guidelines.
- Ability to be self-directed, coupled with exemplary time management skills and the ability to simultaneously manage multiple tasks.
- Other duties as assigned – i.e. answering questions, filing, address rejections, reporting, refunds, bad checks
EDUCATION: High school diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Two years billing experience in a health care organization. Front Desk experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of medical billing practices and office policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of insurance
- Knowledge of all confidentially requirements regarding patients and strict maintenance of proper confidentiality on all such information.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, basic anatomy and physiology
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Skill in operating computers, calculators, copiers, printers, fax machines, and telephones
- Skill in using a 10 key calculator
- Excellent math skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Must possess tact and diplomacy
- Must possess sufficient manual dexterity to perform the essential responsibilities to meet customer needs
- Demonstrates initiative to provide quality of services and improve efficiency
- Maintains positive working relations with co-workers
- Time management skills
- Ability to deal professionally and courteously, and efficiently with the public and to remain calm under stress.
- Ability to understand and interpret policies and regulations.
- Ability to prepare documents in response to complaints and inquiries
- Ability to examine documents for accuracy and completeness
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language
ENVIRONMENTAL/WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in an office environment. Involves frequent contact with the public. Work may be stressful at times.
Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset people.
PHYSICIAL/MENTAL DEMANDS: Work requires hand dexterity for office machine operation, stooping and bending to files and supplies, mobility to
complete errands, or sitting for extended periods of time. Must possess visual and auditory acuity in order to
communicate with co-workers, patients and other customer groups. Possible exposure to chemical hazards. Must be
able to lift up to 25 lbs.
Last Updated on