GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Schedule patients for surgery, tests, referrals, medical and cardiac clearance, pre-op tests and review meds and health history as needed.
Job Title: Scheduling Coordinator
Reports To: Patient Services Manager
Department: Scheduling Coordinator
FULL TIME NON – EXEMPT
JOB Description PDF
- Scheduling patients for surgery, completing facility paperwork and giving patient instructions
- cheduling patients for diagnostic tests including bone scans, MRI, CT, EMG/NCS, ESI, ultrasounds etc. Completing all appropriate screening sheets to schedule
- Reviewing patient’s meds and health history to determine pre-admission testing
- Identifying potential medical/surgical risks and problems and communicating those to the physician.
- Recognizing medications types and medication interactions to identify medications that need to be discontinued prior to surgery.
- Scheduling appropriate medical and cardiac clearances.
- Scheduling patient for follow-up appointments and tests.
- Other duties as assigned – i.e. – restocking
- Follow physician protocols for scheduling appointments and surgeries.
EDUCATION: Requires a high school diploma and graduate from accredited MA program required. MA Certification preferred, or must be obtained within 90 days of employment.
EXPERIENCE: Prefer one year of prior surgery scheduling experience and in a health care facility setting.
REQUIREMENTS: Excellent customer service skills. Flexibility to work nights and weekends
- Knowledge of Practice Management and Word Processing Software
- Computer background/knowledge preferred.
- Knowledge of surgical procedures desirable.
- Knowledge of medical terminology helpful.
- Skill in operating a computer
- Excellent communication skills with patients, coworkers, physicians and outside facilities
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Must possess tact and diplomacy
- Demonstrates flexibility by adapting to new and changing situations and duties in order to need patient needs effectively.
- Time management skills
- Excellent telephone skills
- Works independently
- Ability to exercise judgment and make decisions
- Ability to apply written instructions and standardized work practices.
- Ability to follow protocols
- Ability to prioritize
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a busy environment and see them through to completion.
- Sound judgment and problem solving ability
- Ability to drive from one location to another
- Must be reliable
- Ability to document accurately and concisely
- Ability to perform while under stress
- Must possess sufficient dexterity to perform the essential responsibilities
- Must be able to communicate in the English language fluently
ENVIRONMENTAL/WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in an office setting with some travel between offices. May be stressful at times due to multiple projects and priorities. May deal with angry or upset patients.
PHYSICIAL/MENTAL DEMANDS: Work requires hand dexterity, stooping, bending, and sitting. Employee must possess visuals and auditory acuity in order to communicate with physicians, co-workers, patients and outside customers.
Last Updated on