GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Work in collaboration with the Medical Collector for collection of delinquent patient accounts.
Job Title: Patient Balance Clerk (Medical Billing)
Reports To: Billing Manager
FULL TIME NON – EXEMPT
JOB Description PDF
- Identifies delinquent accounts, aging period and payment sources. Processes delinquent unpaid accounts by
contacting patients and third party payors.
- Performs various collection actions including contacting patients by phone and resubmitting claims to third
- Evaluates patient financial status and established budget payment plans. Follows and reports status of
delinquent accounts to Medical Collector.
- Reviews accounts for possible collection and makes recommendation to Manager
- Answers inquires and correspondence from patients and insurance companies.
- Identifies and resolves patient billing complaints. Researches credit balances.
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION: High school diploma or GED
EXPERIENCE: Two years medical office experience. One year of medical insurance background preferred. Experience in patient statements and patient balance collection experience helpful.
- Knowledge of medical billing/collection practices and office policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of insurance
- Knowledge of basic medical coding and third-party operating procedures and practices
- Knowledge of all confidentially requirements regarding patients and strict maintenance of proper confidentiality
on all such information.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, basic anatomy and physiology
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Skill in operating computers, calculators, copiers, printers, fax machines, and telephones
- Skill in using a 10 key calculator
- Excellent math skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Must possess tact and diplomacy
- Must possess sufficient manual dexterity to perform the essential responsibilities to meet customer needs
- Demonstrates initiative to provide quality of services and improve efficiency
- Maintains positive working relations with co-workers
- Time management skills
- Ability to deal professionally and courteously, and efficiently with the public and to remain calm under stress.
- Ability to understand and interpret policies and regulations.
- Ability to prepare documents in response to complaints and inquiries
- Ability to examine documents for accuracy and completeness
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language
ENVIRONMENTAL/WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in an office environment. Involves frequent contact with the public. Work may be stressful at times.
Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset people.
PHYSICIAL/MENTAL DEMANDS: Work requires hand dexterity for office machine operation, stooping and bending to files and supplies, mobility to
complete errands, or sitting for extended periods of time. Must possess visual and auditory acuity in order to communicate with co-workers, patients and other customer groups. Possible exposure to chemical hazards. Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs.